Sunday 1 July 2012

Handmade knives from Oupa Poen

When my father-in-law decided to start making knives, I made sure we had a little conversation about the tipe of knife I needed so desperately at the time. See, at that stage I had my own horse, we were living in Citrusdal and me and some friends did regular overnight trips in the Cedarberg mountains with the horses.

I needed a short fixed blade that woudn't bother me on my hip while in the saddle. It had to have a sharp point to make holes in leather when repairing riding gear. This was Oupa Poen's first fixed blade he made and it was exactly what I needed. In a short space of time, this knife had served me well on numerous horse trails. 





(DL - Daniel Louw)




Just a size comparison to the CRKT M21-04





Just a year or two later he surprised me with this Biltong folder.
There is no substitution for handmade knives - they're simply the best.







No comments:

Post a Comment